Saturday, January 30, 2021

Rite and Wrong

In my last post, I showcased a video in which Freddie Mercury's We are the champions melody is repurposed in the mold of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring bassoon solo. 




But it occurred to me that rather than hearing unaccompanied Freddie, maybe what we needed was accompanied Igor. Le voilà!




Although I suggested before that harmony wasn't the main thing keeping me from hearing Stravinsky as Queen, I'll say again that, even though I'm perfectly aware of all the matching pitches, this just doesn't sound like The Rite of Spring in this context. Beginning over a big major chord obscures all that primordial mystery we should hear around the solo bassoon, so perhaps harmony is more important that I'd thought. In this context, it becomes remarkably tamed and even a little glam. 

Nonetheless, Igor and Freddie make a fun pair and should probably star in their own animated series. Curiously enough, the band Queen was founded in 1970 and its classic line-up was settled in February, 1971, three months before Stravinsky's death in April.


Here's a big list of MMmusing posts inspired by Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps:

No comments: