Monday, March 29, 2010

Piano Hero Rides Again...


Things are still pretty slow here at Chez MMmusing - just a busy Spring with all sorts of unexpected complications - new class this quad, flooded basements, etc. But, I'm happy to announce that Piano Hero is finally making its 2010 debut this Wednesday. In this "Shakespeare Edition," we'll be tackling two-pianist versions of Mendelssohn's Overture to a Midsummer Night's Dream and Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet. They are not trivial to play, so although Piano Hero is supposed to be about sightreading...I think I may need to practice a bit. Read about Piano Heroes past, see videos, etc. at: pianoheroes.blogspot.com.

I'm also giving a Faculty Forum talk on Wednesday afternoon entitled "Music in Translation." It will be an exploration of some of the philosophical issues raised by the phenomenon of translating symphonic music into piano plunking. Or something like that. Come to think of it, I'd better work on that as well...

No comments: