Thursday, August 30, 2007

Obtuse Observations

Obtuse is an obtuse word. I almost used it in a lecture today to describe something I'd written and then thought the word itself was too vague to say what I was trying to say about what I'd written. (For the record, what I'd written was truly obtuse, which should surprise no readers of this blog.) Webster says "not clear in thought or perception," which is what I meant to convey, but then it occurred to my internal editor that the word wouldn't convey that clearly - at least not for my audience. Anyway, I like the idea of a word that can describe itself.

By the way, "Obtuse Observations" is an anagram of "Soviet Bassoon Brute." One has to imagine that, back in the day, there was a tough double reed prof at the Moscow Conservatory who made some obtuse observations.

And now, here are some composer anagrams:

Phonic
Butchers
Tameness
Can Plod
Go Undo
Be Sudsy
Cats Trail
Navy Skirts
Berg Chosen
Nerd Motive
Nacho Man Riff
Lavish Wig Manual

Some are harder than others, but all are last name only.


On a completely unrelated topic, the Red Sox are killing me.

No comments: