" "

Saturday, September 5, 2026

Only 364 More Days!

Today, someone posted a cartoon from yesterday about the concurrent birthdays of composers Anton Bruckner and Darius Milhaud on September 4. The cartoon pokes fun at AI, but I figured I could do this without AI at least as badly as AI could do.

Today is September 5, so a little late for birthday greeting; but this marks my first musical attempt at a Double Birthday greeting, which means we get a mash-up - really, more like a smash-up - of "Happy Birthday," the sprightly Brasileira from Milhaud's two-piano Scaramouche, and the opening cello theme from Bruckner's Symphony No. 7* (transposed up a half-step). There's really not much more to say about it, but I figured I'd try to get this in as close to the big day as possible. 

It's worth noting that Bruckner and Milhaud are very different composers in so many ways. So this...sounds like this:




And now we may add Bruckner and Milhaud to an ever-expanding playlist which includes: Bach, Haydn, Schumann, Bruch, Ravel, Prokofiev, Schoenberg, Hindemith, Ives, Messiaen, Riley, and Sondheim. 




* This is not my first rodeo with this bit of Bruckner which is possibly THE most beautiful opening to any symphony ever. Sorry, Anton.

No comments: