Sunday, February 6, 2022

Epiphany Fugue 5/8

Staying on schedule! I'm happy with how this one came out. There are definitely some similarities in tone and technique among these fugues, but I think that's to be expected. If nothing else, it makes me feel like I have some sort of consistency of style, even as I hope each week to find a more distinctively new approach. The writing continues to be sort of improvisatory, not in the sense that I simply sit down and make things up - I'm not really able to do that sort of thing well - but rather that I don't plan things out all that much, letting the ideas take me wherever they lead. 

This is a very familiar tune which, as used here, makes for a very simple fugue subject. For that reason, even though the hymn's emphasis on the Trinity might've been a good excuse to stick with three voices, I thought this would a good opportunity to go back to four voices. 



No comments: