Friday, August 8, 2008

A not-so-critical edition

A new post is up at my temporary other blog, The Doctor in Spite of Himself. I've decided against cross-posting all this content on both blogs (so that the 2-3 people who subscribe to both won't have their Google Reader overwhelmed with duplicate content), but I'll probably be regularly linking here to posts over there. So, for now you can read:


The latter explores a bit how I came to create my own "practical performing edition" of Gounod's The Doctor in Spite of Himself. By the way, I find myself enjoying the fact that my score is not one of those pretentious "critical editions" - it's a silly comic opera, for crying out loud, certainly not "critical" in the grand scheme of things. I know that critical editions have their place, but my goal was to create something practical and flexible that made sense for a college-level production. Of course, I'm sure some would be critical of that goal...

No comments: