Monday, December 3, 2007

Medley-Go-Round

After reading in my last post that some Strauss made me think of Rachmaninoff, my Dad emailed to say that the intro to the last movement of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto always has him anticipating Mendelssohn instead. Make it so!

While putting that together*, I couldn't help but think about how my sisters and I used to love to make melodic medleys by switching midstream from one tune to another. We did this with all sorts of songs, and I can't seem to remember many of them offhand, but what I can remember is that there's a particular bridge section from a particular Broadway show that always seemed to make nice medley glue. Now I'd never tried this bridge on anything classical, so I wanted to start with something by a lesser composer, so as not to offend anyone. Make it so!

* No, those concertos aren't in the same key, but that's not gonna stop the MMmedley machine.

No comments: