Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Just how reliable is Nathan Detroit?

This is just a little diversion from the ongoing fugue series. I'm music-directing an upcoming school production of Guys and Dolls, which means for the first time I'm playing one of my favorite songs: "The Oldest Established." I've always enjoyed the way Frank Loesser syncopates the name Nathan in this song, hitting almost every possible position in the meter.


Though I'm not sure when it began, it has long seemed to me that this pattern could happily repeat ad infinitum:
So, as I've done with Stravinsky, Haydn, Satie, and my own blog, I thought the best solution was to create a page in which each re-load creates a surprise number of repetitions. Enjoy!

Good Old Reliable




UPDATE: I somehow forgot to mention, even in the middle of a big fugue-writing project, that Guys and Dolls opens with the well-known "Fugue for Tinhorns," which of course is really more canon than fugue. Perhaps it would be a fun challenge to write an actual "Fugue on a Fugue for Tinhorns," though would be hard to tie that in with Sunday morning... 

No comments: