Tuesday, July 29, 2008

...the last word(s)...

THIS is the last one for the day. (Silly me - I thought the last one was the last one.)



A Few Quick Observations: I love the way Lear's name intersects with "Exit" and "Fool." Also, it's telling that Cordelia, who's offstage for much of the play, thus has her name in smaller type than her wicked sisters. There's also a cool, and totally accidental, balancing in the way Edgar and Edmund's names are situated - same for in-laws Cornwall and Albany. Finally, if you look at the larger version, you'll see the subtle side-by-side pairing "head death," although remarkably there are no decapitations that I recall in this bloodbath of a play. Other nice coincidences: "Good Kent," "Fool speak let" and "fool daughters."

Take Home Point: One can easily find "meaning" in all sorts of unintended places. That may have interesting ramifications for how people "hear" really complex and/or aleatoric music, by the way... but I'm on hiatus.

2 comments:

- Gregory - said...

Nice wordles. I got hooked on them too. It is a pretty sweet little app. Maybe you should do one every six months and then see how they stack up.

- Gregory -

MICHAEL MONROE said...

Every six months? I'm trying to avoid doing them every six hours! Hmm, maybe the Gordon faculty/staff handbook could be wordled...