Sunday, February 20, 2022

Epiphany Fugue 7/8

So, if you're keeping score at home, Epiphany Fugue 5/8 was not in 5/8 time, Epiphany Fugue 6/8 was in 5/8 time, but today's Epiphany Fugue 7/8 is just in boring 3/4 time. One irregular meter out of eight seemed like plenty.

I guess I don't have a lot more to say about this week's fugue. Last week I couldn't wait to get started and finished most of the work days ahead of time. This week it took more effort to get myself going, and I'm not sure I feel like this one is really finished, but it got the job done. Unlike a lot of these, I feel this one works better on organ, but I don't have a great recording yet, and I've been archiving all of these as piano fugues anyway. (UPDATE: Not great, sloppy organ recording available here.)

This happens to be a hymn tune around which I've already written two other non-fugues (a prelude and a postlude), so maybe it didn't have anything new to say to me. Or maybe starting school vacation dulled my senses rather than enlivened them. Or perhaps I spent too much time re-syncopating Nathan Detroit and Gary, Indiana

Whatever, I'm just one fugue from my goal. Then I can confess all of my part-writing sins during Lent....




THE HYMN FUGUE ARCHIVE
(24 total / 7 new in '22)


No comments: