Wednesday, July 16, 2008

MM commenting . . . again

I've got to stop spending all my blogging energy commenting on Greg Sandow's blog; of course, I'm sure I get a wider audience over there - well, I would if I managed to get my comments written less than three days after his posts appear. Still, it is MM musing at some length, so we might as well document it here for the record.

And, just to re-emphasize, I really like what Sandow is doing and I appreciate the freshness of his perspective and his willingness to hear differing opinions. Not only does he post dissenting opinions, but he clearly reads them and usually responds at some length. I don't know how he has the time. I tend to comment over there only when I disagree, but I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit his ideas have changed my thinking in some areas - or, at least, helped to refine my thinking.

My comments over there always end up being overlong because these issues (what classical music is/should be, how it should be presented, how we should think about it, etc.) are so complexly interwoven - one topic inevitably leads to another. This most recent comment is kind of all over the place, and reminds me that I really need to get around to organizing my own thoughts over here. But that won't happen today.

Here's the post that provoked the lastest edition of MM commenting. Here are some previous MM comments o'er there: Classical vs. Pop Reviews #1, Orchestras as Museums, Repeating Beethoven.

1 comment:

Fusedule Tecil said...

MM:

Two quotations for your consideration, which are apropos the discussion of the Academy and so-called "contemporary" music (what I refer to as the "craggy moderns"):

Do not be confounded by those who see you as just another consumer in a market of undifferentiated possibilities, where choice itself becomes the good, novelty usurps beauty and subjective experience displaces truth.

Relativism, by indiscriminately giving value to practically everything, has made ‘experience’ all-important. Yet experiences, detached from any consideration of what is good or true, can lead not to genuine freedom but to moral or intellectual confusion, to a lowering of standards, to a loss of self-respect.


Pope Benedict XVI, speaking in Australia,quoted in the NY Times 7/17/08.

Key words: consumer, undifferentiated, choice, novelty, subjective, relativism, experience, detached, confusion, standards, self-respect.

-Fusedule Tecil