Sunday, February 24, 2008

One down . . .

So I've now been blogging for a year, for whatever that's worth. Here's how it all started. Ah, Joyce Hatto, why have you been forgotten so soon? I tried to immortalize her with sonnets, but my powers of influence are still weak, as indicated by my Technorati authority rating of nada. I'm basically an introverted person, so I have mixed feelings about having people actually pay attention to me, but hopefully I'll get that rating up into actual digits some time this year.

Still, I'm pleased with year one. Here's the basic statistics: 183 posts, 95,000 words, 8 sonnets. I just (I mean, just) realized that's almost exactly one post every two days - a pace I probably won't keep up this year, but I feel less pressure now that there's a body of work. One of the sad things about the typical blogging format is the ephemeral nature of the blog post. Words get lost in the archives, and though that's sometimes a good thing, it would be nice if there was a more consistent way to index the past. I've tried to do this some with my Guide to MMmusing, but I guess one probably still needs to write a book to give words a little more permanence. Still, amazingly good sites like Think Denk and Soho the Dog deserve some sort of table of contents - so many fantastic posts that disappear unless one remembers to look for them again.

The truth is that as much as I hope to be more widely read some day, I often stumble on other little-known blogs that are terrific and worthy of wider audiences. I'm not going to tell you which ones they are! - let's just say that there are a lot of smart and interesting people out there. As for what the year ahead on MMusing holds, I have no idea, but I should probably start by resuscitating some half-finished posts from the past few months. Or not. We'll see.

No comments: